Current News and Events

Statement of Persons Nominated, Notice of Poll, and Situation of Polling Stations

Notice of Election Agents’ Names and Offices

NOTICE OF ELECTION

UK Parliamentary election

For the Central Suffolk and North Ipswich constituency

  1. An Election is to be held for a Member of Parliament to serve Central Suffolk and North Ipswich.

  2. Nomination papers can be obtained from the office of the (Acting) Returning Officer, Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX, during the times stated below.

  3. Nomination papers must be delivered to the (Acting) Returning Officer at Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX on any day after the date of this notice, on Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (excluding bank holidays) but no later than 4pm on Thursday, 14th Novemeber.

  4. The £500 deposit can be paid by legal tender or by means of a banker’s draft froma drawer which carries on business as a banker in the United Kingdom.

  5. If the election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday, 12th December 2019.

  6. Applications to register to vote must reach the Electoral Registration Officer by 12 midnight on Tuesday, 26th November 2019.

  7. Applications, amendments or cancellations of postal votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX, by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, 26th November 2019.

  8. Applications to vote by proxy at this election must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, 4th December 2019.

  9. Applications to vote by emergency proxy at this election on the grounds of physical incapacity or for work/service reasons must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX, by 5 p.m. on Thursday, 12th December 2019. The physical incapacity must have occurred after 5pm on Wednesday, 4th December 2019. To apply on the grounds of work/service, the person must have become aware that they cannot go to the polling station in person after 5pm on Wednesday, 4th December 2019.

    Dated: Friday, 8th November 2019 Arthur Charvonia (Acting) Returning Officer

Printed and published by the (Acting) Returning Officer Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX on 8th November 2019

PARISH COUNCIL

 

Councillors are summoned to attend a meeting of the Parish Council on Tuesday 12thNovember 2019 at 7.730 pm in the Village Hut. Press and Public are welcome

AGENDA

 

  1. Attendance and apologies
  1. To receive declarations of interest and to consider requests for dispensations
  1. Public Forum
  2. a) Public invited to speak
  3. b) To receive a report from Cllr Stephen Burroughes
  4. c) To receive a report from Cllr Maurice Cook
  1. Minutes of the previous meeting
  2. a) To approve the minutes of the Parish meeting held on 8thOctober 2019
  3. b) Matters arising
  1. Village Matters
  2. a) Update on mowing in the village
  3. b) Village Noticeboard
  1. Finance
  2. a) Review reserves requirement
  3. b) Approve annual budget
  4. c) Approve precept
  5. d) Review clerk’s salary
  6. e) Cheques to be signed
  1. Correspondence

To consider the correspondence received between 8thOctober 2019 and the 12thNovember 2019

  1. Questions to the Chair

 

  1. To confirm meeting dates for 2020

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Maureen Philpot – Clerk

Clerk.swefling@gmail.com

OF THE SWEFLING PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 8THOCTOBER 2019 AT 7.30 PM IN THE VILLAGE HUT

 

  1. Attendance and apologies Apologies for absence

    Cllr John Stanley (chair)                                                 Cllr Audrey Lummis

   Cllr Martin Wyard (vice chair)

   Cllr Jude Chin

    Cllr John Tesh                                                                  Also in attendance

   Cllr Julia Kinsey                                                               Maureen Philpot (Clerk)

   Cllr Annie Roger

   Cllr Stephen Burroughes

   Cllr Maurice Cook

  1. To receive declarations of interest and to consider requests for dispensations

   None received

  1. Public Forum
  2. a) No public in attendance
  3. b) To receive a report from Cllr Stephen Burroughes (previously circulated)

    Cllr Stephen Burroughes was pleased to announce that Mills Meadow Care Home  in Framlingham  has received an outstanding from the Quality Care Commission.He said that the facilities at the Care Home were excellent. As far as the SizewellC Project is concerned, he hoped that the benefits will far outdo the negatives for  Suffolk. He also stated that it will have a large impact on the county.

    Cllr Julia Kinsey asked if anything is known about the four village duelled by-pass.Cllr Stephen Burroughes said that this was the preferred option but EDF want a   two village by-pass. (Farnham and Stratford St. Andrew). The two Councils are not very happy about the northern route because it uses prime land, also the Orwell Bridge causes a big problem.

    Cllr Burroughes said that the village noticeboard should be dealt with soon.

  1. c) To receive a report from Cllr Maurice Cook (previously circulated)

    Cllr Maurice Cook said that new community partnerships initiative is being set up (Framlingham and Wickham Market wards). Councils and police will participate in this project. He also said that it has been suggested that more digital devices be put into care homes to keep track of vulnerable people and keep them safe. He also said that working on a local level meets peoples needs because not every area has the same needs. Both Councillors attended a recent conference to discuss how to achieve a carbon neutral society. There is funding available, especially for environmental issues.  Cllr Cook also thanked the organisers of theSweffling Fete for such a good effort.

    Cllr Martin Wyard wanted to thank the council for the refurbished leisure centre at Felixstowe.

    Cllr Maurice Cook said that Leiston leisure centre has been refurbished and Bungay is going to be refurbished. Hopefully these updated leisure centres will have some  effect on childhood obesity.

Minutes of the previous meeting

  1. a) The minutes of the Parish Meeting held on 10thSeptember 2019 (previously circulated) were proposed by Cllr Martin Wyard and seconded by Cllr Julia Kinsey as a true and accurate record and signed by Cllr Martin Wyard (Vice Chair). Allagreed.
  1. b) All actions has been dealt with.
  1. Planning Application

    The Council considered the planning application no: DC/19/3073/LBC and

    decided that as the plans were for making the house more useful for the

    family that lived there they have no objection to the application.

    Action: The Clerk to e-mail the planning committee voicing their comments.

  1. Village Matters
  2. a) Update on grit bins. The council agreed to buy 1 tonne of grit and Cllr Julia Kinsey said that the delivery could be put on her hard standing for a very short time. The advantage of buying the grit means that the grit bins can be placed where they are most useful. At the moment it was suggested that 1 bin be placed by Townland Meadows and 1 bin by the Sweffling White Horse. The Council will ask permission of the landowners to place the bins.

    Action: The Clerk was asked to order 1 tonne of grit asap.

  1. b) It was agreed to use The Royal Sun Alliance as the new insurance company for the council.

    Action: The Clerk to contact CAS to organise the new insurance.

  1. c) It was reported that Steve Smith, Andy Franklin and Daniel Stephenson have been mowing the grass and the Chair said he would get in touch with them to see if they will be continuing with this. It was also reported that The Community Payback Services could not be contacted.

    Action: The Chair to contact Steve Smith, Andy Franklin and Daniel Stephenson about future grass cutting.

  1. Finances

    Please find financial report at end of minutes, page 3 appendix 1.

  1. Correspondence

     Planning application DC/19/3073/LBC – please see above

     Energy event at the Riverside Centre – previously circulated

     SALC – Independent Review into local government audit – previously circulated

     SALC – Partner funded PCSOs – previously circulated

  1. Questions to the Chair

    Cllr Julia Kinsey asked if the Council could buy a quantity of Eco friendly lightbulbs To encourage villagers to use them.

10.Date and time of next meeting

     The date and time of next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday 12thNovember

     2019 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hut.

     There being no further business the meeting was closed by the Chair at 8.40 pm.

 

 

Maureen Philpot – Clerk

swefling.clerk@gmail.com

Appendix 1

  1. a) Review quarterly budget versus actual expenditure

Actual expenditure is down against the quarterly budget

  1. b) Bank reconciliation as at 30thSeptember 2019

Bank Statements

Barclays Community Account                                      

Cash at Bank as per statement dated 2ndSeptember 2019                             £1043.26

Plus cheques received and not yet banked                                                        £1650.00

Less unpresented cheques                                                                                    £83.27

                                                                                    Sub Total                               £2609.99

Barclays Business Account

Cash at bank as per statement dated 23rdSeptember 2019                           £3996.61

                                                                                    Total                                      £6606.60

Cash Book

Barclays Community Account

Opening balance as at 1stJuly 2019                                                                    £1776.70

Plus receipts                                                                                                             £1650.00

Less Payments                                                                                                         £816.71

                                                                                    Sub Total                               £2609.99

Barclays Business Account

Opening Balance as at 1stJuly 2019                                                                    £3994.62

Plus receipts                                                                                                             £       1.99

                                                                                    Sub Total                               £3996.61

                                                                                    Total as per cashbook         £6606.60

                                                                                    Difference                              £0.00

These accounts were signed by the Clerk and the Chair and proposed by Cllr John Tesh and seconded by Cllr Martin Wyard. All in favour.

  1. c) Review insurance cover with asset register. It was agreed to review the asset register at the next meeting
  2. d) The Clerk reported that the second instalment of the precept had been received.
  3. e) Cheques to be signed:

Date                Cheque No.   Payee                         Classification                        Amount

8.10.19           100269           M.Philpot                   Clerks pay                             £317.04

8.10.19           100630           HMRC                        Payee                                     £79.20

8.10.19           100631           D.Stephenson           Grass Cutting                       £50.00

8.10.19           100632           SALC                          Payee Services                    £21.60

OF THE SWEFLING PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 10THSEPTEMBER 2019 AT 7.30 PM IN THE VILLAGE HUT

  1. Attendance and apologies: Apologies for absence:

Cllr Martin Wyard                                                                               

Cllr John Stanley (Chair)

Cllr Audrey Lummis                                                                           

Cllr Stephen Burroughes

Cllr Jude Chin

Cllr Julia Kinsey                                                                                 

Also in attendance:

Cllr Annie Rogers                                                                              

Maureen Philpot (Clerk)

  1. To receive declarations of interest and to consider requests for dispensations

 None received

  1. To adopt Cllr Martin Wyard as Vice Chair

The Parish Council adopted Cllr Martin Wyard as Vice Chair. This was proposed by Cllr                       Jude Chin and seconded by Cllr Julia Kinsey. All agreed. It had also previously been agreed that Annie Rogers be co-opted onto the Swefling Parish Council. Proposed by Cllr Martin Wyard and seconded by Cllr Audrey Lummis. All agreed.

  1. Public Forum
  2. a) No public in attendance.
  3. b) To receive a report from Cllr Stephen Burroughes (previously circulated)
  4. c) To receive a report from Cllr Maurice Cook (previously circulated)

Cllr Martin Wyard read out excerpts from the above report. He commented that both reports were very positive and that it was a pleasure to have Cllr Stephen Burroughes and Cllr Maurice Cook as the representatives of East Suffolk Council. Cllr Julia Kinsey would like to ask the Two Councillors if East Suffolk are going to put flood defences on the beaches.

  1. Minutes of the previous meeting
  2. a) The minutes of the Parish Meeting held on Monday 9thJuly 2019 (previously circulated) were proposed by Cllr Julia Kinsey and seconded by Cllr Audrey Lummis as a true and accurate record and signed by the Vice-Chair.
  1. Village Matters
  2. a) To consider the condition of the village assets

The village noticeboard urgently needs replacing but this is currently being sorted. All other assets are in order.

Action: The Clerk to send a quote for a new noticeboard to Cllr Stephen Burroughes.

  1. Finance

a & b will be in Appendix 1 at end of report.

  1. Correspondence

Cllr Martin Wyard read out excerpts from the latest crime report from Suffolk Police (previously circulated).

  1. Questions to the Chair

It was asked if there was any update on Sizewell C but it seems that this may take a while.

The question of potholes came up, particularly those in The Street and Rectory Road.

Action: The clerk will report the potholes online.

  1. Next meeting

The date and time of the next meeting was confirmed as Tuesday 8thOctober 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hut.

There being no further business the meeting was closed by the Vice Chair at 8.10 pm.

Maureen Philpot – Clerk

Swefling clerk@gmail.com

Appendix 1

  1. a) Financial position as at 10thSeptember 2019

Bank Balances

Barclays Community Account

Cash at bank as per statement 2ndAugust 2019                                                       £1091.48

Cheques received and not banked                                                                            £0.00

Less cheques uncleared                                                                                            £30.23

                                                            Sub Total                                                       £1,061.25

Barclays Business Account

Cash at bank as per statement dated 2ndAugust 2019                                             £3,994.62

                                                            Total funds as per bank statements           £5,055.87

  1. b) Cheque signed:

Date                Chq No.           Payee                          Classification                          Amount

10.09.2019      100625            East Suffolk Council   Non contested election           £65.28

PARISH COUNCIL

Councillors are summoned to attend a meeting of the Swefling Parish Council on Tuesday 10thSeptember at 7.30 pm in the Village Hut. Public and press are welcome

AGENDA

  1. Attendance and apologies

 

  1. To receive declarations of interest and to consider requests for dispensations

 

  1. To adopt Cllr Martin Wyard as Vice-Chair

 

  1. Public Forum
  2. a) Public invited to speak
  3. b) To receive a report from Cllr Stephen Burroughes
  4. c) To receive a report from Cllr Maurice Cook
  1. Minutes of the previous meeting

            a)To approve the minutes of the Parish Meeting held on 9thJuly 2019

  1. b) Matters arising
  1. Village Matters
  2. a) To consider the condition of village assets
  1. Finance
  2. a) To note the current financial position
  3. b) Cheque to be signed
  1. Correspondence

            To consider the correspondence received between 9thJuly 2019 and 10thSeptember 2019.

  1. Questions to the Chair

 

  1. Next meeting

To confirm the date and time of the next meeting as Tuesday 8thOctober 2019.

Maureen Philpot – Clerk

Clerk.swefling@gmail.com

As you may know the Sweffling Parish Council has decided it’s time to refresh the village website: www.sweffling.com.

We would like your ideas and suggestions for the content to make it as useful and enjoyable as possible for everyone in Sweffling and for our visitors. This consulting phase will go onto till the end of August after which the new website will be commissioned.

Please send emails to: monica@printroom.studio,
call me on 07775 676185 or drop a note in at:
Yew Tree Farm, Low Road, IP17 2BU.

Swefling Parish Map
Swefling Parish Map
St.Mary-in-hiding

St.Mary-in-hiding
Summer Sunset

Summer Sunset
Twilight

Twilight
Fete Tractor Rides

Fete Tractor Rides
Jubillee Field swing

Jubillee Field swing
Lunch, anyone?

Lunch, anyone?
The Memorial Garden

The Memorial Garden
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Sweffling Snow

Sweffling Snow
Meet the Locals

Meet the Locals
Posh tea for a Special Birthday

Posh tea for a Special Birthday
The Hut's Commemorative Plaque

The Hut’s Commemorative Plaque
Spring Flower Show

Spring Flower Show
The Annual Spring Litter-pick

The Annual Spring Litter-pick
Christmas Brass Concert

Christmas Brass Concert

Welcome … to the Sweffling Village Website – where we think you’ll discover we’re not just a village; we’re a community.

Supported by the Swefling Parish Council and the local community.